It’s that time of the year again where many of us will be squishing into our jeans less comfortably compared with only a couple of months ago. The end of the year can be particularly brutal on your waistline, however, even if you have managed to keep the kilos at bay, I’m sure many will still be feeling the effects of indulgent eating, drinking and late nights.
Follow these easy and inexpensive tips if you wish to feel a little brighter, sooner! I researched some tips from various sources and included some of my own too. Enjoy xx
1. I’m not into rigorous detoxing, but squeezing lemon into warm water first thing in the morning is some of the best advice I’ve received. It makes you feel good, wakes you up, aids digestions and is apparently alkalising on the body.
2. Cut down on caffeine, yes I know this sounds painful. If you are someone who doesn’t like drinking water very often, it will help to cut out coffee as it can further dehydrate you. Try herbal tea instead. If you don’t understand why you need to drink water then you may have some serious issues not best solved by reading this blog (hehe).
3. Apply concealer under your eyes! If healthy lifestyle changes aren’t for you, perhaps investing in a good quality concealer for your post silly season under eye bags is your deal. Not everyone is interested in “health,” therefore, I give you Clé de Peau Beauté concealer. Heavenly!
4. Exfoliating or dry body brushing is almost as good as a massage! It’s like the poor woman’s (or man’s) DIY version of a salon massage. Body brushing and exfoliating gets the blood pumping and improves circulation, is rumoured to alleviate cellulite (hoorah!) and helps your moisturiser absorb. You’ll be left with a slight glow afterwards too, as an added bonus. It also feels luxurious and your skin will be lovely and smooth! Try Aesop or The Body Shop.
5. A brisk walk first thing in the morning will boost your energy levels for the day ahead, not to mention help shift kilos (if that’s your concern). Getting out into the fresh air will also bring fresh oxygen to our lungs and help the blood circulate more, as well as relieve various other health risks.
6. If indigestion is an issue and you’re not afraid of trying new things, give this a go: peel and chop a 2.5cm piece fresh root ginger and simmer it with one tablespoon of fennel seeds for ten to 15 minutes. Then add a teaspoon of dried peppermint or a peppermint tea bag and infuse for ten minutes. Strain and drink.
7. Party season can wreak havoc on your luscious locks, so a hair treatment, such as Kerastase Masque Nutri-Thermique, will breathe some life back into your limp strands. I personally loveeeee this masque! If you’re strapped for cash, cold pressed coconut oil or almond oil will also do the trick.
8. Clear out your fridge! This sounds like a no-brainer, but keeping all your Christmas stocking goodies within reach will defeat the purpose of attempting to cleanse your body. Throw them in the bin or hide them away. Out of sight, out of mind my friend! Replacing your old items with fresh produce is ideal.
9. A dip in the ocean, for all you beach babes, or alternatively a cold shower. Ocean water has this refreshing quality you can’t go past. Even if you aren’t a keen swimmer, you can’t deny it makes you feel good. Cold water supposedly helps ease muscle soreness as well, at least I hope so since numerous strength and conditioning coaches have forced me into freezing ice baths post basketball games so as to “aid recovery.” The jury is still out on this one scientifically, but those with neglected party-feet may want to give this a go after a night on the dance floor, just in case!
10. Last, but certainly not least, eating food at home would have to be the best “cleansing” advice going around. Unless you’re the world’s worst cook or you mistake fish & chips for “clean eating,” cooking your own food and avoiding eating out with sugary desserts and nutrient-lacking meals will be the most effective and inexpensive detox tip you’ll receive.
Hopefully there will be some advice for everyone! Let me know if you have any other special tips.
Happy New Year!